bourgeois gal

the day to day life of me, the bourgeois gal. this blog is a space for me to write about my daily life, including my vegan and vegetarian cooking, baking, and dining experiences, the research I do, the travel I embark upon, and other random things in this little thing we call life.

July 7, 2011

Thursday Treat: A Recipe

So, last week, Dr.Blueberry made a weird sandwich...well, weird to me. It was an open-faced "roast-beef" sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy on top. Here's how it happened... I met up with a local friend at one of the "dives" around town while she and her partner were having lunch. For lunch they were having open-faced sandwiches (turkey I believe) with fries and gravy... I thought, um, well, at first I thought "yum" and then I realized the caloric content and thought "yuck." When I came home, I told Dr.B about the sandwiches, and in his adorable excited kitchen way, he replied that he could make that...vegan!

So, onward!

Basically, he took two slices of sandwich bread, topped it with some thinly sliced seitan (warmed in a skillet and soaked in Braggs), then topped (I asked for mine to be on the side) that with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy (I don't think I've shared my favorite of the gravy recipes yet, so I'll do that next week!). We served it with some hominy--yum!

It was kinda delicious!

Here's a picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment