bourgeois gal

the day to day life of me, the bourgeois gal. this blog is a space for me to write about my daily life, including my vegan and vegetarian cooking, baking, and dining experiences, the research I do, the travel I embark upon, and other random things in this little thing we call life.

August 11, 2011

FB Drama with Phone Contacts...

I posted the following note to my FB account today, and I thought I'd share it here...

and, here...


Because I keep seeing the "warnings" about phone contacts on FB, I've done a bit of reading and looking around. I'd like to say, and pay attention here, that the only phone numbers that I can see on that "Account->Edit Friends->Contacts" list are those of you who have also posted your numbers (to be exact, neither my mother's nor my mother-in-law's numbers are available on this page). 


Now, this isn't to say that some of you _might_ be able to see contact information for some of your friends/family members who are not on FB--who am I to disagree with what you've seen with your own eyes?! To the contrary...I totally believe you, but I think, generally, this is your own doing: perhaps you have a "smart phone" with which you check FB, and your settings need to be adjusted (this is a natural progression given how fast the technology is "improving"); perhaps it _is_ in the privacy settings on your FB account (to be honest, even I do not read every little clause on FB); perhaps it's some other issue that hasn't yet arisen. 


What I'm not convinced of is that this is some conspiracy by FB to access your contacts---I mean, what are they going to do, call my momma?! What I really think is happening is quite simple: I think there's a FB "scare" going around that has us (the general public) looking for a reason to switch to Goggle+. Ok, that might be a bit extreme, yes, but I don't think there's any reason at all to get all in an uproar about this phone book issue. Just fix it if it bothers you...


*drama*


Oh, and here's some reading for you (ya know, the good scholarly--read:internet--kind):
  • http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/10/in-the-book/
  • http://www.bloggerclick.com/2011/08/warning-phone-numbers-of-all-now-on.html
  • http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/news/internet/Check-if-your-phonebook-is-on-Facebook/articleshow/9566071.cms
  • http://100gf.wordpress.com/2011/08/11/facebook-users-worry-about-phone-number-privacy-as-anonymous-vows-to-attack-social-network-opfacebook/

No comments:

Post a Comment