bourgeois gal

the day to day life of me, the bourgeois gal. this blog is a space for me to write about my daily life, including my vegan and vegetarian cooking, baking, and dining experiences, the research I do, the travel I embark upon, and other random things in this little thing we call life.

November 25, 2010

Thankful

I realized recently how lucky I am that my mother took the time to teach me to bake my favorite pie: chocolate. So, I'm thinking that today--in honor of a day of thanks-I'll share that recipe...

Pie Filling

Ingredients:
  • 2 c sugar
  • 12 T flour (these can be a little bit on the "heaping" side)
  • 3 egg yolks, separated so that each has its own small bowl for meringue making 
    • (or 2 eggs, if not making meringue)
  • 3 c (whole) milk
  • 3 T cocoa (for chocolate pie, but I also use this recipe to make banana pudding and lemon pie, so I'll note the differences after I wrap this up)
  • 1 T vanilla
  • 1 T butter

Directions:
  • using a copper bottom or stainless steel pan,
  • mix dry ingredients
  • add one cup of milk and one egg at a time, mixing well for each
  • cook on low at first, slowly working your way up to medium-ish heat (you don't want to scorch the milk), stirring constantly (and I do mean constantly)
  • mixture is done when you can run your spoon through and the mixture holds its form (i.e. the groove from the spoon stays rather than refills with mixture)
  • after it's cooked and ready, add butter and vanilla and mix well
  • let cool and then top with meringue (or cool whip or nothing, lol)
  • let cool, then eat!





And, it should look something like this!


If making lemon pie: no cocoa; substitute 1/2 c lemon juice and 1 1/2 c water for milk
If making banana pudding: add 6 or 7 bananas (one or two while it's cooking, and the rest for right at the end, with some wafers!); no cocoa

2 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! I am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a Vegan Variation from An Opera Singer in the Kitchen (adapted from Elana's Pantry)

    Chocolate Cream Pie

    serves 12

    1 pre-made vegan pie crust

    Chocolate Cream Filling
    2 cups So Delicious Original Coconut Milk
    pinch celtic sea salt
    1/4 cup arrowroot powder
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1 Tablespoons vanilla extract
    2 cups dark chocolate chips 73% cacao (Whole Foods brand or Ghiradelli)


    Bring coconut milk and salt to a boil in a medium pot.

    Sift arrowroot powder into the pot, whisk vigorously by hand or with a hand blender for 2 minutes.

    Whisk in maple syrup and vanilla.

    Remove from heat and let stand for 1 minute.

    Add chocolate, stirring vigorously until completely melted.

    Chill in refrigerator for ½ hour until cool.

    Place in cooled pie crust and serve.

    Opera Singer site: http://www.singerskitchen.com/2010/12/christmas-in-texas-2010-best-chocolate.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AnOperaSingerInTheKitchen+%28An+Opera+Singer+in+the+Kitchen%29

    Elana's Pantry site: http://www.elanaspantry.com/chocolate-cream-pie/

    ReplyDelete