bourgeois gal

the day to day life of me, the bourgeois gal. this blog is a space for me to write about my daily life, including my vegan and vegetarian cooking, baking, and dining experiences, the research I do, the travel I embark upon, and other random things in this little thing we call life.

July 14, 2011

Mushroom Gravy

From *La Dolce Vegan* p. 181.

Malloreigh's Mushroom Gravy

2 T vegan margarine
4-6 button mushrooms, finely chopped
3 T flour
1 T nutritional yeast
1/4 t ground black pepper **or to taste!
1 t tamari **or soy sauce
1 c vegetable stock

In a medium saucepan on medium-high heat, saute the mushrooms in margarine until soft. Add the flour, nutritional yeast, pepper, and tamari; stir constantly until thickened. Which in stock 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly until thickened. Blend in food processor if you want smooth gravy or serve as is. Makes approximately 1 & 1/2 cups.


**my tips...add a 1/4 cup of the stock before adding the flour, nutritional yeast, pepper, and tamari--doing so thus far has enabled me to NOT need to blend it in the food processor, but then....I really like mushrooms, so that could really influence one's decision to blend.

This works great with southern fried tofu, mashed potatoes, and a fresh steamed vegetable!

2 comments:

  1. Love mushroom gravy. I need to get some nutritional yeast. I hear it taste like parmesan cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...I don't know, KDinOK. I think it can replace parm on some dishes, but I don't (personally) think it tastes like parm. It's really great, however, on pastas and pan sauteed veggies...yeah, a nice addition to a simple meal.

    ReplyDelete