bourgeois gal

the day to day life of me, the bourgeois gal. this blog is a space for me to write about my daily life, including my vegan and vegetarian cooking, baking, and dining experiences, the research I do, the travel I embark upon, and other random things in this little thing we call life.

June 9, 2011

Recipe Thursday: Vanilla (Lemon) Cake

From How it all Vegan.

If you're eating a vegan diet and haven't ventured out to buy the three How it all... books, just do it! The recipes are super simple, the author/s offer lots of sweet little tips to help with conversion, and the recipes are delicious!

I made this little gem for the first time last week to celebrate Dr.Blueberry's and my one-year anniversary.



It was pretty darned amazing! It was, like so many vegan cakes I've made over the years, a bit dense, but the flavor was fab, and I made a last minute conversion from "Vanilla" to "Lemon" Cake. Today as I look at the cookbook, I notice a Lemon Cake recipe directly below it...I admit that I totally missed it when I made the cake last week. I told Dr.B that I was taking a bit of a gamble and adding lemon extract instead of vanilla...oh, how I do love experiments. And, it was perfect! Here's the recipe!

Vanilla Cake, p. 147.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
3/4 c dry sweetener (I used regular sugar)
3/4 c soy milk
2 t vanilla extract (I used lemon)
1/4 c oil (I used canola)
egg replacer to equal 1 egg (I used Ener-G egg replacer)

Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add sweetener, milk, vanilla, oil, and egg replacer and mix (I used a whisk) together gentle until "just mixed." Pour into a lightly oiled (I use Bakers Joy spray) cake pan (I used a 9" round) and bake for 25-35 (I did 20, and it was perfect) minutes. Check with a knife (toothpick) to see if done. When cooled, ice and serve....

As always, I modified and added my commentary to the directions... I topped with a vegan-ized (read: sub vegan butter and soy milk) buttercream frosting (next week's recipe? perhaps!) and instead of vanilla extract again used lemon. We also topped our cakes with fresh sliced strawberries when serving!!



Such a yummy treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment