bourgeois gal

the day to day life of me, the bourgeois gal. this blog is a space for me to write about my daily life, including my vegan and vegetarian cooking, baking, and dining experiences, the research I do, the travel I embark upon, and other random things in this little thing we call life.

May 13, 2011

Decadent Brownies (From The Garden of Vegan)

I made these last month to share with friends on Molly's birthday, and Suzanne asked for the recipe. Since I keep forgetting to simply send it to her, I thought I'd simply share the recipe here...

Decadent Brownies

1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder [you can substitute carob for the cocoa]
3/4 cup dry sweetener
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup soy milk
1/3 cup olive oil [I use EVOO]
1/2 cup nuts (your choice; e.g., pecans, walnuts, etc.), chopped

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, sweetener, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the soy milk, oil, and nuts. Stir gently until "just mixed." Pour mixture into a lightly oiled 8x8 baking pan [I use glass], and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Makes 8-16 brownies, depending on how you cut them.


From P.191 of The Garden of Vegan, written by Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer


These are, IMHO, the best books (there are two others by the same authors) for vegan cooking/baking. The recipes do not call for spices and such that I don't have (read: I can make everything in these books with what I already have in my kitchen normally), and the directions aren't like following Julia Childs! Simplicity is the answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment