bourgeois gal

the day to day life of me, the bourgeois gal. this blog is a space for me to write about my daily life, including my vegan and vegetarian cooking, baking, and dining experiences, the research I do, the travel I embark upon, and other random things in this little thing we call life.

March 31, 2011

Recipe Thursday: Vegetables...

A comment on my last post helped me work through the post I wanted to do this week----recipe Thursdays do not always come easy to me. Vegetables. I don't like them all; though I am, at the moment, eating a vegan diet, and I have been vegetarian, off and on, for the recent 8 years now. So, I thought I would share some of my favorite vegetables and maybe a few tips for how I like to cook them this week...

Avocado: I love to just fresh slice avocado and eat it...maybe squeeze a bit of lemon juice on it to heighten the flavor a bit. Yum! The slices are also a nice addition to black bean tacos, with maybe some bean sprouts....
Asparagus: My favorite way to cook asparagus is to pan saute it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar with pine nuts... Something about the intense vinegar taste and the asparagus works for me! And, if it's a bit crispy, I'm much more fond of it---so, it must be fresh!
Broccoli: I love broccoli...it was the first vegetable that I loved as a child--my mom always knew I'd eat it, I think. So, I'll eat it steamed, pan steamed in vegetable oil and soy sauce with some tempeh, fresh, baked into lasagna, tossed with pasta...doesn't matter, I love it!
Brussel Sprouts: I don't recall ever eating brussel sprouts when I was growing up, but I guess it's possible I did. Anyways...when Dr.Blueberry and I moved to Pittsburgh, we were at the farmers market one day, and saw them, hanging like bells on a strip of ribbon. It was like the angels were singing. We bought some, and cooked them, and I've been in love ever since! How did we cook them: sliced in half, brushed with a bit of olive oil and an herb or two (maybe some basil or italian spices), and a quick roast in the oven.
Bell Pepper: Bell pepper, of a variety of colors and styles, goes in almost everything I cook: stir-fry, tacos, chili, salad, etc...I'm not picky when it comes to bell peppers!
Artichoke: I don't think I've ever bought artichokes, but I do love them....in pasta, usually an oil-based pasta, rather than red or creamy sauce, with other tasty treats, like capers and black olives, and broccoli. Yeah, I should buy some. But, I need to investigate how to buy them: canned, or fresh....thoughts?
Garlic: Like bell pepper, garlic goes in everything. The.end.

And, in case you're wondering, this list is not comprehensive. I also love lettuce (romaine), celery, carrots, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, and sooooo many other veggies. I'm curious what your favorites are and how you cook them! Share a recipe with me!

Peace, love, and veggies.


PS Don't ya just love Wikipedia?! I was trying to think of veggies that I eat regularly, and I did a Google search for vegetables, and this Wikipedia site appeared in my search findings! So.much.fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment