bourgeois gal

the day to day life of me, the bourgeois gal. this blog is a space for me to write about my daily life, including my vegan and vegetarian cooking, baking, and dining experiences, the research I do, the travel I embark upon, and other random things in this little thing we call life.

February 3, 2011

Recipe Thursday: My (new) Favorite Vegan Cookies

Cowboy Cookies 

Ingredients
2 c quick-cooking oats
2 c all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2/3 cup canola or peanut oil
2/3 cup (white) sugar
3/4 c firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 c nondairy milk
1 T ground flax seeds
1 t pure vanilla extract
1 cup shredded coconut
1 generous cup semisweet chocolate chunks or chips
1 cup chopped toasted pecan pieces
Additional nuts and chocolate chips or chunks for decorating tops of cookies

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350, line two baking sheets with parchment paper (I just spray the baking sheet with bakers joy).
  • In a medium bowl, stir together oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. set aside.
  • In a large bowl, beat together oil, sugar, brown sugar, nondairy milk, flax seeds, and vanilla. Fold in half the flour mixture to moisten, then fold in the remaining half. Just before the mixture is completely combined, fold in the coconut, chocolate, and pecans.
  • For each cookie, drop 1/4 cup of dough (about the size of a golf ball) onto cookie sheets (I use a small cookie baller). The dough will be sticky and thick (or dry, which is usually my issue, but the moisturizing to scoop and to flatten helps!). Leave about 2 inches between each cookie. Flatten slightly with moistened fingers or the moistened back of a measuring cup; repeat dipping in water for each cookie (this seems crazy, but do it!!!).
  • Bake for 14-16 minutes until edges start to brown.
  • Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to complete cooling.
  • Store in a loosely covered container. These are also ideal cookie jar cookies!
I hope I don't get into some sort of legal trouble for sharing this recipe---seriously, these cookies so so delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment