Here's a pic of the last of this week's chili.
So, you might be wondering what's in this vegan chili? Well, it varies almost every time I make it, but I'll share what I can.
1 t minced garlic
1 cup TVP
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 12 oz can petite diced tomatoes (I just happen to like the smaller cuts of tomatoes, but you can use larger versions)
1 12oz can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1/2 red bell pepper (no seeds; chopped into small pieces)
1/2 green bell pepper (no seeds; chopped into small pieces)
cayenne pepper powder
2-3 cups water
How to make it....this gets confusing!
- over medium heat, warm about 2 T oil in a large pot; add garlic and let it cook down a bit; add peppers and let them cook down a bit; add tvp and 1/2 cup water (or a bit more if it isn't quite rehydrated)....let these items saute a bit together.
- add chili powder and cayenne pepper powder (both to taste; I prefer about 2 T chili powder and about 1/2 t cayenne); let this cook for a few minutes.
- add tomato sauce and (rinsing out the can) a can of water; add tomatoes; add beans (you can also add pinto beans and/or black beans); add another cup of water (as needed)
- bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let cook for an hour or two on low/medium heat
- serve with Fritos (to make it a "Frito Pie") or crackers and cheese (if vegetarian)