bourgeois gal

the day to day life of me, the bourgeois gal. this blog is a space for me to write about my daily life, including my vegan and vegetarian cooking, baking, and dining experiences, the research I do, the travel I embark upon, and other random things in this little thing we call life.

January 27, 2011

Recipe Thursday Share: Salad

Since I made it for dinner lastnight, I figure why not share this simple salad recipe that I simply love! It's modified from a Vegetarian Times recipe that I saw in the magazine once, but I neither have a copy of the recipe nor do I even remotely follow it, so it's now MINE, muahahahaha. (ok, scary laugh now complete).
:)

Simple Salad:
romaine lettuce (torn into bite-size pieces)
celery (chopped)
carrots (sliced into thin rounds)
bell peppers (variety of colors; chopped)
other favorite salad veggies
fresh cilantro (or parsley)

Dressing:
equal parts lemon juice and evoo (maybe start with a 1/4 cup of each, depending on the size of your salad)
minced garlic (about a teaspoon, again, depending on the size of your salad)

Topping:
seitan strips (I prefer westsoy brand, but any will do!)
soy sauce



Notice I do not have suggested measurements here. It's a salad; wing it, make it look pretty, serve up as much or as little of something as you like!

Directions:
Put all ingredients into a large salad bowl (or individual salad bowls if you want to make them look prettier for serving), starting with lettuce, then veggies, then dressing, then cilantro. While you're prepping your veggies for the salad, warm the seitan in a skillet with enough oil to coat the pan and enough soy sauce to coat the seitan. When the seitan is sufficiently warmed (and all the soy sauce is cooked down), let cool for about one minute and then put some on top of your salad.
Enjoy!

My friend Molly came over yesterday, and I made this salad. Here's a picture of what we ate!

2 comments: